Day Dreams Bed & Breakfast, one of the most stately homes in Hammondsport, is located on one of the largest lots in the village. This historic home, built in 1886, has had a succession of four owners and each of our guest bedrooms is named in honor of one of the property owners.
The Dimon Room is named for John Dimon who built the house in 1886. John, son of a French immigrant, was Long Island shipbuilder. John was educated in select schools, and in 1860 became a resident of Steuben County, where he became a prominent vineyardist with fourteen acres on the west side of the lake. Mr. Dimon purchased the lot, originally three acres which fronted on Keuka Lake, and built the house for his wife Harriet and their three children. Upon his death he was buried in Elmwood Cemetery overlooking his vineyard.
The Hunter family occupied the house from 1926 -1951. Edward Hunter was the son of a decorated Civil War veteran. Edward was already a successful business man when he arrived in Hammondsport and was appointed to the position of President of the Bank of Hammondsport. Locomotive #1 of the Bath & Hammondsport “Champagne Trail” Railroad was named in his honor.
James Allen Shaw, affectionately referred to as “J. Allen”, and family bought the property from the Hunter family in 1951. J. Allen owned the “House of Shaw”, a furniture and jewelry shop located on the Village Square. He also owned Shaw Medical Supply. J. Allen, in his younger days, was a renowned magician referred to as one of the greatest “coin men” in the world. He and his wife Millicent raised three children and entertai
Change Route Points
Your Contact Information:
( * These are required fields. )
Day Dreams Bed and Breakfast 13 LAKE ST. HAMMONDSPORT, NY 14840